Friday, September 10, 2010

Mabel's Lobster Claw - Reveiw of the Kennebunkport, Maine Beloved Institution


Mabel's Lobster Claw - a Kennebunkport, Maine institution since 1953, where the Loves go every summer and so beloved by former President George Herbert Walker Bush that he hosted a dinner there for Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin of Israel in the summer of 1992. I know I was there. Of course I was not at Mabel's, the restaurant was closed to the public. I was however on the lawn of The Green Heron Inn which is directly adjacent to the restaurant in a soaking wet swimsuit without a towel when the Secret Service SWAT team arrived in a screaching halt.

Lickety split they were on the roof of Mabel's, in the street stopping traffic and on the lawn directly in front of me. The overly serious officer in front of me had a machine gun in hand and ordered me not to move. I politely asked if I could please go inside the inn as I did not have a towel with me (literally 10 feet away) but he told me "Don't Move". SO I had to stand still on the lawn for the next 15 minutes as the motorcade arrived. I saw the President and Prime Minister Rabin go into the restaurant with their wives. After they were safely inside I was finally given permission to move (as if I posed such a serious threat to their safety standing there in my bathing suit).


The Duchess entree served with Butternut Squash


Considering it is a restaurant frequented by heads of state, one probably in visions something similar to the Four Seasons in New York. It is far, far from it. The interior looks like a time warp back to the early 60's. The counter just inside the front door is lined up with pies covered in mismatched scratched plastic pie covers. The tables are wooden with blue laminate inlays surrounded by wooden banquets or chairs well worn to actually being comfortable. There are also several outside tables which if you do not mind the hearty bloodsucking Maine Mosquitoes you can sit at.

Lobster Marinara
(don't let the picture fool you there is tons of lobster hiding under the linguine)


The meal starts with just baked blueberry bread and mini corn muffins that are so so good we always have seconds. Portions are generous so keep in mind that sharing an appetizer is a good idea, unless of course you have built up a substantial appetite braving the freezing ocean either swimming or sailing. The calamari is a huge plate of fist size tentacles with marinara sauce that you will definitely need more of it hits the spot so well. The stuffed mushroom caps are simply divine and you will not want to share at all. Entrees come with a choice of two sides and I usually opt for a side salad and the vegetable of the day which while we were there was butternut squash.

Calamari with Marinara Sauce Appetizer


The salad dressings change from day to day and my favorite was the horseradish dressing which was tangy without being overpowering. The coleslaw is refreshing as well.

Side Salad served with Horseradish Dressing


I tried three entrees during our 12 days in heaven on earth: Lobster Newburg, The Duchess and Lobster Marinara (which is not on the menu, but they made especially for me because last year I had the Lobster Fra Diavolo, my brother's favorite dish, and it was too spicy for my delicate stomach). There is an abundant bounty of lobster in every entree, but my favorite is the Newburg which is extra comforting on a cold Maine night. My Mother also tried the lobster stew, but ate it all without offering me a single bite, so I guess it was pretty darn good.

Table Setting with instructions on how to eat a lobster in case it is your first time!


Desserts are from the selection of pies or ice cream, which they also sell from the outdoor pickup window. The most decedant is the Peanut Butter Ice Cream pie served with the best hot fudge I have had in years (I might have to bribe them to get the recipe).

The Menu showing the list of Entrees



So now I have to spend the rest of the year dreaming and praying I will get back to Kennebunkport again next summer and be so lucky as to go to Mabel's Lobster Claw another 3 times. AMEN!


Baked Stuffed Sole
(My mother had this too and never offer me a bite, can you believe it!)



My Favorite - Lobster Newburg

3 comments:

  1. Went there last week for the Lobster Newburg. A fantastic experience. The Lobster Newburg was truly outstanding. Kinda rich for my wife who yielded 1/2 of her serving along with the toast points to me! Absolutely pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you. What a generous wife! Not me. I would have eaten mine and all of somebody else's plate if I could.

    ReplyDelete