Sunday, December 19, 2010

Finishing the Gingerbread House - Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Here is our finished gingerbread house!

To add on the roof pipe royal icing along the edges and attach both sides of the roof lining them up so they meet at the top.

Use something to prop up the roof so it can dry overnight. I used tins stacked up.


Before starting your roof set the pattern to follow. I use necco wafers, but you could use shredded wheat, chocolate wafer cookies, anything.

To start the roof tile work, pipe several rows of royal icing and then start sticking in the necco wafers. Do not cover the roof, because the royal icing will dry out before you get a chance to put on all the decorations.

Stagger the rows of necco wafers to complete the tiled roof design.

I use about 200 necco wafers per gingerbread house.

After you have finished the roof add all finishing touches. I added a wreath and a shell border along the roof edges.
I hope you have enjoyed this gingerbread primer and it has inspired you to make one this holiday season and it will become a holiday tradition for you as it is for me.


Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment